Canonical - We deliver open source to the world faster, more securely, and more cost-effectively than any other company. We develop Ubuntu, the world’s most popular enterprise Linux from cloud to edge, together with a passionate global community of 200,000 contributors. Ubuntu means 'humanity to others. We chose it because it embodies the generosity at the heart of open source, the new normal for platforms and innovation. Together with a community of 200,000, we publish an operating system that runs from the tiny connected devices up to the world's biggest mainframes, the platform that everybody uses on the public cloud, and the workstation experience of the world's most productive developers. Secure and reliable, elegant and intuitive, and open for innovation - Ubuntu is the future of open source, which is why it's the fastest-growing Linux in the world despite already being the most widely deployed.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Web Engineer
- The Web and design team works as a multidisciplinary inclusive team with world-class user researchers, UX designers, visual designers and web engineers. We work collaboratively with many teams and roles across the organisation including product managers and other engineering teams.
- Senior Web Engineer's help drive best practices across the team, for all disciplines, bringing great ideas to the table to lead technical conversations.
- They identify risks and communicate them to relevant stakeholders, asking the right questions to move a project forward. Within the team there are fantastic opportunities to gain deep technical knowledge of complex products in innovative and fast-growing areas of the tech world with space and support to hone your craft. We value transparency, intellectual honesty and teamwork.
What You Will Do
- Learning and teaching: Coaching, mentoring and providing feedback to more junior members of the team, while always developing yourself.
- Ownership: Plan and manage progress on agreed goals and projects.
- Communication: You’ll manage incoming requests for updates and liaise with or delegate to other people as necessary.
- Standards: You’ll ensure the standard of our team's output remains high and consistent across our whole product portfolio.
- Consistency: You’ll ensure new pages are published according to specification and in compliance with our design system.
- Culture: Foster a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company values.
- Collaboration: Work closely with UX designers and visual designers to implement exemplary user experiences.
- Celebrate: Celebrate success with your team, and learn from mistakes.
- Love what you do.
Who You Are:
- Demonstrable experience, working on modern web applications, such as React.
- Good understanding of server-side languages, such as Python.
- Experience with Git or other version control systems.
- Consideration of accessibility in all aspects of your work.
- Experience with analysing and improving web performance in complex user interfaces.
- An excellent communicator with the ability to interact with other members of the team.
- Exceptional product delivery experience.
- Based in the EMEA timezone (Europe, the Middle East and Africa).
- Remote first: 100% remote working with the opportunity to travel to Sprints. We meet a couple of times a year in interesting places all around the world to come together to collaborate. These Sprints see circa 300 people come together. This year we have travelled to Frankfurt, Copenhagen, Montreal and Prague!
- Personal development: Annual budget allowance and time to focus on areas you want to improve.
- Compensation: eligibility for annual pay review including bonuses.
- Recognition: The ability to possibly be rewarded and recognised by others for the work you do.
- Travel: Priority Pass for lounge access when flying to sprints. International SOS membership to support you whilst travelling.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should: